We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba NB100 Mini laptop

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Got a Toshiba NB 100 Mini laptop or whatever you call it.8" or near enough.

It is running a bit slow especially opening the likes of Firefox or I/E.It takes about 30 seconds before they start to open.

It only has 1Gb of ram and according to Taskmanager it shows as using about 770Mb of memory.

Can you put more memory on to it.Not sure if you can replace the 1Gb for 2Gb as it is only the one slot.

Also does not pick up the Wireless signal that good.I have it next to my router and it is showing a download speed of about 14Mb and my computer shows that it is getting the full 20Mb download speed.

I have run all the Microsoft downloads.ran C Cleaner and did a defrag that it needed.

It starts quick enough just a bit just a bit slow opening browsers.

Downloaded and ran a scan with MalwareBytes Trial version and a full scan with AVG and nothing was found.

Anything else you can think of to make it run that bit quicker.Also what happens if it crashes there is no keycode for Microsoft underneath so just wondered how to install it again if he had problems.

Only 5 things running at start up using msconfig.Plenty room on the hard drive,Only the one air vent on it and it does feel a bit warm underneath.Used the hoover on it a while back but don't think it would have made much difference.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another thing.How can you do a sfc /scannow without a CD Drive.

Will it do it without entering an XP CD.Or will it ask for one.

Just in the middle of running chkdsk just now so can't try it till that is finished.

The owner is back from holiday today so will be packing it up shortly.I suppose it is good enough for him for all he uses it for.But I would have liked to see it opening pages a bit quicker.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok it finished chkdsk so tried sfc /scannow and it is a third of the way through that without asking for the Xp Cd.So will class as resolved.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

I upgraded my PB netbook to 2 Ggg ram , running XP, and it's made some difference though I'm not sure it was worth it for the usage it gets. Browsers still take a bit more time to load than the desktop but I think it's due to the CPU rather than ram. I installed A Really Small App on it and you can see the CPU usage when you start a browser, just hover the mouse button over the system tray ARSA icon.

A-Really-Small-App

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have said,just hover the mouse pointer.

Best way to backup is to clone the drive if you have no key for it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if it is the CPU problem checking in taskmanager when I am running scans and the CPU seems to be working fine and is not u using up more than it should.

I am just about to pack it up and take it up to his house.Nice to know that it will take more memory so will leave that up to him.

Thanks for getting back to me I have done all I can without deleting any programs so will leave it to him to decide what to do next.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just to add it ran sfc /scannow and did not ask for the XP CD pity it was not like that on all XP installations.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?