We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I easily upgrade laptop's wi-fi adaptor?

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I've found an Acer Aspire V5 laptop that I'm interested in buying. Its spec. seems to cover everything I need, with one exception - the wi-fi spec is listed as 802.11b/g. I want 802.11n.

I have fitted a new hard drive and memory to a laptop in the past, but I have no idea whether it is equally simple to fit an improved wi-fi adaptor. Is this straightfoward? Any idea what the adaptor would cost me?

Many thanks for any advice.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You may find this article interesting - the cost will depend on the type of adaptor you need to buy but I don't think that this will be prohibitive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Changing a wireless adaptor is simple (except some only have one antenna socket). An option is to use a dongle. I've bought a number of Edimax from Amazon recently - 8 quid and very good connections. Can't add a link at the moment, as the website won't let me!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ah, the ability has returned!

Edimax dongle here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Card may or may not be easy to change but it is far easier to use a usb wifi dongle .

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

That's all very useful information - thank you.

A couple of further questions, if I may, about using a dongle:

(1) I notice that the Edimax dongle has no visible antenna, so I assume the antenna is internal. So it must be very small. Does this limit the range of wi-fi reception?

(2) Obviously a dongle will occupy a USB port. In order to get maximum speed of wi-fe reception, does this have to be a USB3 port? And if it can't have its own dedicated port, would its use in a hub reduce wi-fi speed?

Many thanks again.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

USB2 is fine, and I've found the range to be really very good - i was staggered the first time I used one, and have supplied many more with good results.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...