We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptaop WiFi Hot Spot Setup

astro1989

Likes # 0

Can a Laptop be used to setup a WiFi hot spot when it is connected to the internet via a wireless "Cricket USB Broadband Stick". I want to be able to access the internet with my Kindle Fire and IPhone without having to pay Wifi Charges for each device. Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Let's see if I've understood this right?

You've got a laptop with its own internet connection (USB modem?). You do not have a wireless router.

You want to connect your iphone and kindle to your laptop using WiFi, then piggy back off its internet connection?

If that's right then yes, this should be possible. You need to set up an ad-hoc network on your laptop, and then set your internet connection as shared.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Hot Spots are like when you want WiFi for free or pay. McDonalds is free WiFi when you turn your laptop on it will see the Hot Spot to connect to and you just sign in

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

You'll need Reverse Tether.

click here for iPhone Reverse Tether.

click here for android Reverse Tether

click here for kindle Reverse Tether

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

Connectify This should give you what you want if you are on Win 7

Like this post
astro1989

Likes # 0

Thanks to all responders. I tried Connectify Pro and it works perfectly... Great answers...great forum

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?