We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive repair / data reovery

AD2012

Likes # 0

Hi, Looking for help and advice!

I have a PC with 3 HD's in it, fortunately the main C: Drive with windows 7 on it is fine and is backed up weekly to the second drive D: .

I have another drive E: , a Hitachi SATA drive of about 300GB, on which I had copied an old laptop hard drive. I rarely use it but sometimes access some of the old files on it which were stored in one main folder containing multiple subfolders.

The other day when I started the PC I caught the tail end of a Checkdisk running then the PC seemed to run fine. Yesterday, when I powered it on, it went straight to Checkdisk for the Hitachi Drive, which is drive E. When windows started up there was no sign of the Hiatchi E drive, so I shut down the PC and checked all the SATA cables disconnecting and reconnecting them.

When windows had started up again the Hitachi E drive was showing. Though when I went to explorer I found that it looked empty, no files were visible. I checked its properties and it showed 52GB used space. I ran tune up utilities and it recovered about 3 files which I restored as advised. I now have a 300Gb drive with only one folder called “MFT 22” and a subfolder which contains 1 MS Access Database ! After some Googling I downloaded a program called “Pareto Logic” and am running an advanced scan. It is almost 50% complete after about 2.5 hours and shows 24,500 items.

When I check the descriptions of these items it shows many of the files I would expect with their filename and date modified/ created/ accessed as I would expect it. It also shows lots of other files with random filenames and date modified/ created/ accessed as 1970/01/01 12.00.00, I imagine these are deleted files, as some of them I can preview and they are audio files which I once stored on this drive before deleting them.

What I would like to do is obviously restore this drive to how it was before this happened, but I am not sure of the best way of doing this,

I can find lots of software to recover these files, like the trial of “Pareto” that is scanning the disk, but I wondered if there was an easier way to do it. I don’t want any of the deleted files just the ones that were on the disk the other day. I am thinking that if I use Pareto, it may recover everything leaving me with maybe 50,000+ files to sort through and also not in any folder structure.

Is there a way of just repairing the disk structure without having to recover everything from it, I came across discussions of MFT records?

Or if not does anyone have any software to recommend that will allow me to copy the disk contents to one of my other hard drives, whilst maintaining the folder structure and filenames?

Many Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Cleaner is free and has a drive wiper tool

3 passes will be sufficient to stop anyone other than CID, 7 you will need a forensics team, 35 is just paranoid.

if you're a spy or terrorist smash the drive with a lump hammer :0)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AD2012, re the program you say you ended up purchasing from (bottom of page 1) I would not purchase software or trust anything that came from recoveryfix.com (the download website) is listed on Host-file.net "Classification: FSA - sites engaged in the selling or distribution of bogus or fraudulent applications, This classification also covers sites involved in fraudulent activity"

I noticed that you have just joined and this is your one and only thread on pca forum.

Like this post
AD2012

Likes # 0

@lotvic

Not sure the relevance of "I noticed that you have just joined and this is your one and only thread on pca forum"?

Yes this is my first thread, so what?

I have already purchased, downloaded the program and used it, I can only go on my experience of it and as I have already said that was positive. It did what it said it would do and that is good enough for me!

I paid using Paypal and have only been charged the correct amount?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AD2012,it was meant as friendly advice to a new forumite to be careful before parting with money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers