We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive repair / data reovery

AD2012

Likes # 0

Hi, Looking for help and advice!

I have a PC with 3 HD's in it, fortunately the main C: Drive with windows 7 on it is fine and is backed up weekly to the second drive D: .

I have another drive E: , a Hitachi SATA drive of about 300GB, on which I had copied an old laptop hard drive. I rarely use it but sometimes access some of the old files on it which were stored in one main folder containing multiple subfolders.

The other day when I started the PC I caught the tail end of a Checkdisk running then the PC seemed to run fine. Yesterday, when I powered it on, it went straight to Checkdisk for the Hitachi Drive, which is drive E. When windows started up there was no sign of the Hiatchi E drive, so I shut down the PC and checked all the SATA cables disconnecting and reconnecting them.

When windows had started up again the Hitachi E drive was showing. Though when I went to explorer I found that it looked empty, no files were visible. I checked its properties and it showed 52GB used space. I ran tune up utilities and it recovered about 3 files which I restored as advised. I now have a 300Gb drive with only one folder called “MFT 22” and a subfolder which contains 1 MS Access Database ! After some Googling I downloaded a program called “Pareto Logic” and am running an advanced scan. It is almost 50% complete after about 2.5 hours and shows 24,500 items.

When I check the descriptions of these items it shows many of the files I would expect with their filename and date modified/ created/ accessed as I would expect it. It also shows lots of other files with random filenames and date modified/ created/ accessed as 1970/01/01 12.00.00, I imagine these are deleted files, as some of them I can preview and they are audio files which I once stored on this drive before deleting them.

What I would like to do is obviously restore this drive to how it was before this happened, but I am not sure of the best way of doing this,

I can find lots of software to recover these files, like the trial of “Pareto” that is scanning the disk, but I wondered if there was an easier way to do it. I don’t want any of the deleted files just the ones that were on the disk the other day. I am thinking that if I use Pareto, it may recover everything leaving me with maybe 50,000+ files to sort through and also not in any folder structure.

Is there a way of just repairing the disk structure without having to recover everything from it, I came across discussions of MFT records?

Or if not does anyone have any software to recommend that will allow me to copy the disk contents to one of my other hard drives, whilst maintaining the folder structure and filenames?

Many Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try TestDisk

Click Hear

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

and how to use it

TestDiskStepBy_Step

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Paretologic has had some dodgy reviews. If I can find them again I'll post a link.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Paretologic is useless scamware, do not arrange to pay them any money or give them your details

any problems it finds are self invented to scare you into parting with money

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/paretologic-039regcure039-scam-scottsdale-arizona-c330274.html#c636867

Just do a google for 'Paretologic scam'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here's a useful link http://www.ehow.com/how8194508uninstall-paretologic-scams.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Grr those pesky underscores breaking link again ClickHere

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Hitchi's own Drive Fitness software is good because it is bootable so you can use to repair corrupt sectors if the machine will not boot and it will move any data it can retreve to non corrupt area before it does it.

Drive fitness

Like this post
AD2012

Likes # 0

Update...

I let Pareto run it's course, when it completed it listed 200,000 files.

So I assume all my stuff still appears to be there, just impossible for me to currently access!

I stopped it doing anything further based on some comments here about it!

Now trying TestDisk!

Not really sure waht I am doing or looking for here?

The disk I have has no OS on it and so I presume is not bootable?

Like this post
AD2012

Likes # 0

I tried various options and am now running the image option, which appears to be creating an image in a location I specified on one of the other drives.

I think I will let it run overnight as it seems like it may have some way to go ( currently 6%) and it is late.

As far as I am aware the suspect disk is NTFS and only has one partition.

Not sure if any of these options listed in the wiki for testdisk are what I am looking for?

TestDisk can Fix partition table, recover deleted partition Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector Fix FAT tables Rebuild NTFS boot sector Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup Fix MFT using MFT mirror Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

Like this post
AD2012

Likes # 0

Hi

Many Thanks for all your suggestions!

I ended up going for http://www.windowsdiskrecovery.org I liked its ease of use and was able to see my missing folders and files with their correct filenames. I paid the upgrade and was able to recovery relatively quickly the data to another of the Hard Drives.

I have had a repeat of the Hitachi drive disappearing in windows and suspect it may well be failing, so I plan to replace it. I have a couple of other “no longer in use” hard drives which I have avoided disposing of because of concerns about where they might end up and what data could be recovered from them.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any good ways of wiping or overwriting them to remove all traces of my data?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015