We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where are my emails going

alba6

Likes # 0

I have just bought a new Lenovo PC running Windows 7 and set up Windows Live Mail for my email. I have 3 email accounts a 'gmail' address, 'googlemail' address and a 'talktalk' address. The 2 google accounts are set up as IMAP and the talktalkone as POP3. I get emails OK from the talktalk account but the Google accounts are mystifying.If I send an email from my old PC or my wife's PC and watch for them coming through they are OK but if I send the same email and don't try to read it until some time later I can't find it. We were away for the weekend and I came home to NO google emails, the talktalk ones were OK.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if clicking on default programs in all programs and making Windows live mail your default mail program would help.

I would imagine whatever you main default mail provider that should receive all the e-mails.

If you are with talk talk you would need to go into that and tick leave a copy on the server or something like that I believe.

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

TalkTalk mail is not problem, it comes through OK. Windows Live Mail is already default mail program. Thanks for trying Jock1e, Anybody else got any suggestions before I go round the twist???

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I would guess you have the IMAP settings for gmail configured incorrectly. Here is a guide - check it very carefully

Gmail settings in WLM

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you checked webmail of gmail to see if you have any e-mails in the inbox?

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

Woolwell - How do I do that? Alister

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you go to www.google.co.uk you should see gmail at the top (you may have to log in) and click on it.

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes I've done that and it's empty.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If it's empty and you haven't downloaded any or deleted them and you are using imap then I suggest you haven't received any. Have you looked in the spam on gmail?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As Woolwell says it seems you have not had any mail to your Google accounts. Why not send a test email from your TalkTalk account to your gmail account and check that it comes through OK.

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

Yes, I've checked sending from my old PC and from my wife's laptop. Sometimes they get through but others just disappear. It's baffling. I've sent the same email to my gmail address and copied it to my googlemail one and one will get through but not the other. It seems that if I'm at the PC when they arrive it's OK but if I check later they don't. I'm not a novice, I've been involved with PCs for donkeys years but never seen anything like this! Alister

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...