We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

locked down XP professional

nickf

Likes # 0

Hi , I have loaded Xp pro onto an ATM ( cash machine ) , PC only has an external USB CD/DVD rom . I am trying to load A CD to put customers graphics on , but even with USB CD drive as first boot device in BIOS , will not start the CD . Can you help ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

but even with USB CD drive as first boot device in BIOS , will not start the CD .

This will only work if the CD is bootable.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do? do you wish to run the CD drive in XP?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Yes CD should be bootable , but XP is locked down , so can't access it

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Copy the stuff onto a flash drive and try booting from that?

WTM

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you mean you do not have admin access?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have loaded Xp pro onto an ATM ( cash machine )

And Why would you want to do that?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Yes , no access . And loaded it , because that is the S/w it uses !

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Still not sure what you mean by "no access"

Reset password for Windows XP by hitting f8 at bootup, select safe mode, at logon, go to the admin account, hit enter, and the password is now reset.

or Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

or Windows2k/XP Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...