We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acre aspire one won't load

Blubottle
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have an Acer aspire one notebook loaded with XP, the problem is that the boot sequence halts whilst I the first xp splash screen the blue progress bar moves but after about 30 secs it goes to a black error screen informing my that windows has not loaded properly and I am given the option of choosing how to start windows, ie safe mode, last known config, normally. What ever option is chosen this sequence starts all over again with no,progress, I cannot get into the bias to change boot sequence so the option of booting from a loaded USB drive is' not there . Any advice please

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have you tried F2 during boot to get into BIOS? Your symptoms suggest a corrupt OS to me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Does holding down Alt and pressing (keep tapping) F10 as you first boot up, bring up the recovery menu with options to choose from? There might be a repair files option there.

Using Acer eRecovery Management. You can launch Acer eRecovery Management in a number of ways:

• By pressing the hotkey + during the boot-up process, or at any time when you are running Microsoft Windows.

• From the Start menu, go to Start > (All) Programs > Empowering Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

hotkey + = hold down Alt and press F10

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Start with F2 to get into bios and load defaulkt settings.

WTM

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Would changing the keyboard and mouse to SP2 help.I know I had that problem on a none dell computer using a dell keyboard.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ignore that that was for a desktop and not a notebook.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

I have tried all your suggestion's before I posted hoping I had missed something, I cannot get into the bios so I can't change boot sequence therefore I can't try and load from a USB drive. Something has fallen over or became corrupted. Unless someone comes up with a magic solution It looks like a new hard drive pre-installed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you tried booting up with the usb drive already in? It might then appear as an option in the menu you get.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you do not need to recover anything from the drive

DIY Acer Aspire One Recovery USB Device http://www.dailycupoftech.com/2008/09/02/diy-acer-aspire-one-recovery-usb-device/

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit
Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Blubottle, are you saying Alt + F10 don't bring up eRecovery menu? You have to catch it at just the right second during the boot up (as per Fruit Bat /\0/\'s post) so keep trying until you hit the right spot.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more