We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have my emails been hacked into?

Conny

Likes # 0

I have 2 email accounts, 1 for personal use and 1 for work use, both are Hotmail.com addresses. For the past month or so each time I open my personal one a page comes up after I log in asking for information. It has a blue bar across the top saying 'Microsoft account' but no other indication it is from them. It then has the title; A password isn't enough. This is followed by asking for an alternative email address, a phone number and a security question which consists of asking for my fathers middle name. Is this a phishing scam? There are no boxes to tick to delete it and it only comes up on the one account. Any ideas how I can get rid of it? I have run AVG, CCleaner and cleared out my cookies. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Probably Microsof Outlook which is taking over from Hotmail and Windows Live mail.

Just wanting you to change over probably.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This is what you are probably getting.

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?lic=1

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can have a read here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account

You can once you have signed in add your Hotmail accounts to it but not sure if you can still send messages from them.I know that you can still receive messages from them.Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

On the first link did you try signing in using your normal e-mail address and password.

I think everyone has to use it eventually but not sure how long before they start removing Hotmail accounts.

I must admit I am not that keen on it I prefer Windows Live Mail.I use both at the moment.

I think it is either that or G-mail and I am not that keen on that either.

Wonder if there are any other decent e-mail programs about.

I used to use Incredimail but my anti-spyware program kept showing it as spyware so got rid of it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Conny, if it's this that you're seeing, then no, you haven't been hacked into as it's a legitimate Microsoft security-warning.

A check you can make to ensure you're on the right webpage is to look at your browser's address bar. In Firefox and IE the domain is indicated in bold type so if it says live.com or hotmail.com then you know you're in the right place.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Jock1e, yes there is a superb free email at http://www.gmx.co.uk/ I've been with them for years. POP mail, IMAP, Webmail, File storage and sharing, Email notification of Spam Headers (so you can then go to webmail site and mark as spam or not), tons more features.

Like this post
Conny

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel, yes thats the screen and it says 'live.com' in bold. So it is perfectly safe to fill it in?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Lotvic

Thanks for that.Decided to have a look at reviews for it and the very first one I opened was this one.

http://email.about.com/u/reviews/gmxmail/Gmx-Mail-User-Reviews-Free-Email-Service/

Does not give you a lot of confidence, but like everything else you only get reviews from those that have had problems.

A good review from you goes a long way so will think about it as I have 3 email providers at the moment and would like to cut it down to one.

I have Windows live mail which I am used to and as it is going to close down whenever. I opened a Microsoft Outlook account just to be in the safe side.my internet provider now uses G-mail and not that keen on G-mail or outlook.

So that leaves me looking for some thing permanent.I will bookmark yours for use in the near future.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"So it is perfectly safe to fill it in?"

Yes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Conny, thanks for your thread, I've also got to go through the sign up Outlook.com change from my hotmail account addys. I've been putting it off as I collect email on email client on pc and haven't been to webmail hotmail for ages.

applogies to Conny for replying to Jock1e on your thread.

Jock1e, I didn't realise that the ads in gmx were that bad. I use Adblocker+ and have never seen them. Thanks for the heads up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014