We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu, Acer laptop and pendrive combination problems.

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

My daughter finds that she needs occasional access to ubuntu, so after much thought the best option seems to be to have a bootable usb memory stick for the laptop. The memory stick is a verbatim 32G pinstripe we actually got 2, and have the same problem with both so we can rule out a faulty sticks.

The laptop is an acer aspire 5732z

ubuntu is v 12.04.

when the acer is running windows it has no problems with the 32g memory. but when we try booting from it, things go to pieces. it started with the screen not lighting up after selecting try without installing. We got round this by adding acpi=off to the appropriate kernel, but then the wireless refused to turn on (even though we could see it turning on before). we managed to get round this by adding nomodeset to the kernel. All this on a different model acer laptop. but on my daughters machine the boot is erratic, and very slow if it happens at all. The exact same ubuntu installation on a 1 gig usb stick us fine. Fast and stable, but it doesnt leave much room to work with.

It's almost as if the 3 arent compatable in the same mix.

Suggestions, anyone?

WTM

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

It may be the Verbatim USB stick. I installed Ubuntu on a spare PC and there is a known issue with USB and Ubuntu 12.04.
I found it did not recognise my Verbatim USB stick - run Start Up disc creator - and it did. My TDK stick was recognised every time.

Also I have had issues trying to make a Verbatim stick bootable but a Lexar stick of the same size worked fine.

The Verbatim stick as a general file store works fine and is always recognised by Windows so it is not faulty, just odd! Try another brand of stick and see if that helps.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Instead of shutting down (ie. powering) off the laptop, is there not a hibernation mode option in linux [similar to windows]?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'