We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC Case Wiring problem

kat64
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a new PC Case and i have checked where all the power cables plug into the Motherboard except the one, it is labelled AC'97. Can anyone please tell me what it is. I have looked all over the motherboard for a clue but cant seem to find anything. Regards

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I think you will find that AC'97 is the connection for the headphone and mic jacks on the front of the case (there are two pin layouts ac'97 and hd audio). HDA is the hard drive activity light.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 1

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You do not plug any cables from the PSU to your front audio connections. You shouldn't be able to anyway. As northumbria61 says they are for the front audio/mic connectors. Your new case has the pink and green jack sockets and cables? Don't know your motherboard so it can be a bit daunting to connect these front audio connectors if they come individually and not in a block connector.

Like this post
kat64

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys for your input. Thanks ZAK i realize now AC'97 means Audio Codec 97 and as i will be using a better quality sound card I probably don't need that connection anyway. Regards to all

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

This diagram should help you enter link description here There should be only ONE connection on your motherboard that it will fit.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

northumbria61 , problems arise when you need to connect this type to the mobo, click here and some have even more single connections.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My old case has only single connectors to each pin for the front audio/mic. The above is for hdd but is similar or worse, to make head or tail of the connections for front audio. Good to know these come in a block connection now.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

A lot of cases have 2 connectors for the Front Audio jacks - HD audio and AC97. You only plug one of these in to the motherboard / soundcard (preferably HD audio if your motherboard supports it, which any relatively modern one will).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features