We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel cells not displaying full contents

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am in the process of producing a catalogue of some 450 antiquarian books as an Excel (2007) spreadsheet. I am using 7 columns (author, title, printer/year of publication, edition number, etc). Some entries are no more than one line but others go to 6 or more lines. As I was reviewing it today, I realised that some of the cells are not displaying all the lines entered. I can readily correct these manually simply by dragging the lower cell edge down until everything is displayed. But this is quite a laborious task and there is always the danger I will miss some cells that are partially obscuring lines. Is there any way of doing this automatically?

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

morters

I haven't got Excel 2007 on this machine, and my laptop is having its battery sorted, but from memory I think you need to look at "Wrap" which should automatically wrap the text with in the cell width. Check it out through Formatting.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, TonyV, but as far as I can the cells already are set to wrap.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try clicking top left corner of the spreadsheet which selects all of the cells or ctrl-a then on the home tab - cells - format - dropdown -choose autofit row height.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

morters

Alternatively, following on from Woolwell's response, select all the worksheet, and then go into the Alignment Dialog Box Launcher and select the Wrap text box. This should then allow all cells to wrap where necessary, which in effect means those that do not require wrapping will not be!

The notes here have come from "The Brilliant Office 2007" hand book.

TonyV

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks TonyV and Woolwell - had to pop out for ciggies hence delay responding.

I'm going to make a copy of my work (it represnts many, many hours work) beforre attempting either solution.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I hope that you do backups.

Undo will put it back as before very quickly.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Bingo, Woolwell, seems to have worked a treat! TonyV, your suggestion would ensure everything is wrapped. I'll use both for belt and braces job, thank you both!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014