We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Secunia PSI says Windows Media Player needs KB2378111 patch...

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

Secunia PSI says Windows Media Player needs KB2378111 patch. However, when i run the Microsoft 'Stand Alone' installer, it begins to install then says...

"The update does not apply to your system"

The Website from which I am dowloading is...

CLICK HERE

The file name is...

Windows6.0-KB2378111-x86.msu

Question: What's the problem?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've just put in a 14GB Flash Drive to use as ReadyBoost.

What is that other thing called, something that the system uses like Ram?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The amount of RAM is one of the problems. I don't try to run Vista with less than 2 Gb. RAM is quite reasonably priced and would be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

How easy is it to upgrade Ram in a laptop? If you're changing cards I know you have to go in by removing the keypad. I presume you have to do something like that for Ram also? Do you know of any links to step-by-step photo or video help in adding Ram to a laptop?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It depends on the laptop. The last time I did it was very simple, opened up a panel on the bottom and slotted the ram in.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"something that the system uses like Ram" = Virtual Memory

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx Lotvic, that's it the 'Paging File' you have to set it 1.5 times the amount of Ram. But then you're also supposed to put it on a different drive. Thereby lies the rub, she only has one drive, would it work if I put it on a Flash Drive?

Woolwell It's a FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO Mobile

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

PS Lotvic

I just read where you can have two Paging Files, but they can't both be on the same drive. They are saying that one drive can be the 'C' drive. So again I'm asking what if the other was a Flash Drive?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are several different models of Fujitus Siemens Esprimo Mobile. Last time I did it I bought the RAM from mrmemory and it came with instructions.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

I have an old Compaq Vista home laptop. Upgraded the ram to 2 GB, has a 1.7 GHz cpu, clean as a whistle and only run Ccleaner. Don't like optimizers. It's slow but bearable compared to my other laptop. So decided to install Win7, no key, so had 30 days to trial out. The difference is quite noticeable and has improved no end. The plan now is to buy Win 8, from Microsoft.com, this October (£25 for download and key) and upgrade to Win 8 on it.

As for the page file I'd let Windows handle it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I visited 'MrMemory' and now I'll have to run the update cost by my wife and see if she wants to pay the £21 for the 2GB (compatible) upgrade. Thanx for your help.

rdave13

Thanx for your thoughts on this matter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room