We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Secunia PSI says Windows Media Player needs KB2378111 patch...

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

Secunia PSI says Windows Media Player needs KB2378111 patch. However, when i run the Microsoft 'Stand Alone' installer, it begins to install then says...

"The update does not apply to your system"

The Website from which I am dowloading is...

CLICK HERE

The file name is...

Windows6.0-KB2378111-x86.msu

Question: What's the problem?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Going with this your Windows updates should have updated it a fortnight ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/bulletins/201010.aspx

Maybe check your updates and see if it has already been installed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ignore that.it was for 2010 the same year as yours. Sorry.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've had an idea for a solution, being as I don't seem to be able to install the patch from 2010. What if I were to uninstall Windows Media Player and reinstall an up to date one?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would try, WMP | Help | 'check for Updates' before considering uninstalling and reinstalling.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic

I tried that, although I have to say that I wasn't holding out a lot of hope as I didn't think that a patch was/is the same as an update? Anyway, I gave it a go and this was the result...

"Your computer is running the most recent version of Windows Media Player and all of its components. No update is available at this time"

But this result would also seem to negate my own idea of uninstalling and reinstalling, for the same reason.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Basically there is no problem, Windows has determined you do not need the update, forget about is best course of action.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is Windows Media Player working ok? If it is then ignore Secunia.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Well, yes that's one way to look at it. But on the other hand if you're going to ignore Secunia, then there's no point running it, is there?

As it is this laptop is running mega slow. It takes over 4 minutes to load and when it has it's like wading uphill, through treakle. It's my wifes laptop, she hardly ever uses it these days, lifes too short.

Everything is up to date, there are no bugs, viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, it's as clean as a whistle. I've run every test I can think of and a few that others have suggested, but all to no avail. I've defragged and optimized, using Auslogic. But nomatter what I try the result is always the same.

i don't know what else to try, hence I'm left picking over the bones of the most unlikely things that are left. They are old Microsoft updates and patches that were nere installed, for whatever reason at the time.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How much RAM does it have?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

RAM 1GB & the HDD has 45GB Used & 66.7GB Free

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015