We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Explorer Stopped

ponytail

Likes # 0

The following message keeps appearing. Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working Winows can check online for a solution to the problem

Does anyone know this meansand has anyone else had this message. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have had that on occasions, but I simply restart and carry on as normal. I have never known the so-called on-line check to actually come up with a solution!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

" I have never known the so-called on-line check to actually come up with a solution!"

I remember a while back that one of our regulars posted a thread where they'd ran in to a problem with their computer, and spent days trying absolutely everything they could to fix it (including formatting and reinstalling Windows etc). After getting nowhere, they finally decided to allow Windows to check online for a solution where it came back and said it was a known problem, and offered a file to download to fix it and it worked. (I think that's how it went anyway, I'm relying on memory here).

Ever since then, I've always allowed Windows to check for a solution (I used to be one of those that would click the cancel button as soon as it tried to check), that said however, I'm still waiting for it to make my first fix!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

D@ve

I'm still waiting for it to make my first fix!

I too allow windows to make the check, but as I said that check has never found a solution that worked!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry do you mean Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer.

If Windows Explorer try running sfc /scannow and see if that finds any problems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If Windows explorer I had the same problem when I tried Spybot's beta program. Uninstalling it worked. Have you downloaded a program recently that might not be compatible with 7?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers