We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Malware

highside

Likes # 0

Hi,I ran Malwarebytes and it found a virus and it has been quarantined, what is the difference between quarantine and the option to delete it? Also does the program remove the offender for good or will it keep returning.

file is Pup.bundleoffer and was listed under as freefileviewer in user downloads.

Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Once quarantined your PC is safe, I have never heard of anything escaping. However, you can click on Delete All in the Quarantine Tab in MalwareBytes, which is what I always do.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks. Why isnt it simply deleted in the first place?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A good question, one I am afraid to which I do not have an answer!

I could guess, that perhaps that gives the programmers of the security systems, more time to study the rascal and work out a defense for future use!

Though my guess is probably totally wrong

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I think you'll find that the reason viruses aren't deleted immediately is because security software isn't infallible and what it thinks maybe malware could be perfectly safe. Once it is quarantined you have the choice of checking it out and then taking the appropriate action, which could actually mean reinstalling it because it's perfectly safe.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I agree with Pine Man sometimes it is a false positive and if you delete it your computer might not work properly after that.

So best keeping it in quarantine for a few weeks and if no problems with your computer then delete it.

All you have to do just now is Google for your problem and see how many others have the same problem after running MalwareBytes.

Looks like it is just Malwarebytes that is finding that particular problem.You would have thought other security programs would also be finding them,But no,

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too agree with Pineman, and as far as False-positives are concerned, I reckon it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks for all replies, annoying that Norton gives a clean health check when a free program finds a (seemingly) problem.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Programme, so it may have been innocuous which is why Norton ignored it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I will go with onthelimit1 with his views they are probably doing no harm where they are.Just warning you that they could be a potential risk.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...