We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access Internet via router - computer keeps trying dial up!

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks - having just had to disconnect my computer from the router as it had broken (that is now resolved), I have reconnected the computer to the router but the computer keeps trying to ask me to select dial up connection - and whenever I try and just click on a browser, it keeps saying "server not found".

How do I get the computer to access the Internet via the router again?

Thanks.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

In Command Prompt

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks D@ve - just done this - and it now says

"Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache".

How do I get out of that black screen now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just close the command prompt window.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's a Command Box. Just click on the X in the top right corner.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Done it but still couldn't access Internet - am now in process of doing that install windows thing from the setup that fruit bat suggested.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

It just gets worse! After seemingly installing again (or whatever it's done), the computer now seems to be stuck on the windows xp load up screen - it just says "please wait" and the cursor is an egg timer that is just still. Will I ruin things even more by restarting the computer myself?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Give it plenty of time before you do press reset (although you wrote that 20 minutes ago...). If it doesn't load then reset is your only option.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Let us know if you can log back in again.

Couple of questions still though:

Is your Ethernet driver definitely installed properly? Check this by going in to Device Manager and looking under Network Adapters. If you look at its properties it should tell you who the driver manufacturer is. It should not be Microsoft.

Also, have you had a chance to try resetting the internet protocol settings yet that rdave suggested earlier? If you don't have the means of saving the file to a USB stick to transfer to your PC then you can run the command manually from Command Prompt.

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

If that doesn't work then I'd start considering backing up important files and just wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch with a fresh installation of Windows. Will probably save you a lot of headaches!

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Well everyone - I'm typing this post from the internet ON MY PC!!! IT IS FIXED!!!

It seems the re-install type thing worked (and all my files are still intact).

I was gonna try D@ve's resetting suggestion next, but thankfully I don't have to now.

You are all fabulous on here - and I'm just so, so grateful to each and every one of you for keeping an interest in my threads and getting me back up and running. Hopefully, you won't hear from me for quite a while now.

Thank you once again. Really appreciate it everyone :-)

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great, thanks for your feedback.

Well done on your perseverance!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'