We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access Internet via router - computer keeps trying dial up!

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks - having just had to disconnect my computer from the router as it had broken (that is now resolved), I have reconnected the computer to the router but the computer keeps trying to ask me to select dial up connection - and whenever I try and just click on a browser, it keeps saying "server not found".

How do I get the computer to access the Internet via the router again?

Thanks.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Just tried was D@ve suggested but I'm running windows xp home. I typed the ipconfig in the command prompt box that came up under the accessories tab - but this is what came up:

"An internal error occurred. The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft for further help. Additional information - unable to query host name".

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have just gone into network diagnostics for windows xp and under winsock status it has given a few errors including one that says a connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.

Anyone know what an LSP is?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, have I missed something? How are you connecting to this Forum?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Winsock repair

I have never had to do a Winsock Repair, but this might be the answer to your problem.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Haha nontek - I think I posted earlier that I can access Internet still via phone and laptop - but it's the tower pc that had the problems.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so the winsock tool I presume I will have to download to a cd as I can't connect to Internet on the pc in order to run it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try a repair of XP first

Start - Run

type sfc /scannow

press OK

windows will scan and replace ant missing or corrupt files it may ask for the CD to be in the drive and it will take awhile to complete.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks fruit bat - do you think the other problem you helped me with on here has been the cause of this (my thread about windows xp not booting up and I got an external caddy)?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Will try using the only CDs I got with the computer - a recovery disc and an application/software cd - I don't have an actual windows xp cd.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is a Microsoft fix it to reset internet protocol,click here. Are you sure that you have no infection? I'd run your security programs in safe mode first then try the fix it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote