We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access Internet via router - computer keeps trying dial up!

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks - having just had to disconnect my computer from the router as it had broken (that is now resolved), I have reconnected the computer to the router but the computer keeps trying to ask me to select dial up connection - and whenever I try and just click on a browser, it keeps saying "server not found".

How do I get the computer to access the Internet via the router again?

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes could well be related to your corrupt drive problem

sfc should work even if you system was preinstalled and not ask for a CD

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PS remember in your other thread I said you would probably have to do a repair of windows after you had run check disk.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ahh I see fruit bat.

Well I'm having probs getting DVD drive to be recognised by computer so think I've not put leads back in properly - so need to reopen pc and check that and will then hopefully be able to boot up computer from one of my discs to do the repair of windows :-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As you can now boot into windows you do not need the CD to do a repair install

sfc scannow

will repair the missing or corrupt files

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you still can't connect after running the system file checker, download the fix it on another machine and save to a flash drive, so you can run it on the PC.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I just ran that sfc thing and although it asked for the cd to be inserted a few times, it seemed to complete BUT nothing came up in the screen to say it had finished - the window just closed?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That's OK it will do that.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

See if you can now type

ipconfig /flushdns

then see if it will connect to the internet

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Where would I type the ipconfig /flushdns ?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

In Command Prompt

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...