We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access Internet via router - computer keeps trying dial up!

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks - having just had to disconnect my computer from the router as it had broken (that is now resolved), I have reconnected the computer to the router but the computer keeps trying to ask me to select dial up connection - and whenever I try and just click on a browser, it keeps saying "server not found".

How do I get the computer to access the Internet via the router again?

Thanks.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

My local area connection status says its been connected for 15 minutes but it won't load any web pages up no matter what browser I use. Hope that helps too.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

To configure Internet Explorer to not connect by using a modem, follow these steps:

Start Internet Explorer. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Connections tab, and then click Never dial a connection.
Click OK.
Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks - will try this tomorrow :-)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi - I've now done this and the pop up window for dial up has thankfully stopped. However I'm still not able to connect to broadband.

It tells me to check correct address for typing errors, check computer network connection or get firewall to allow browser (all of which are ok).

Under my Local Area Connection it still says connected and lists "Realtek rtl8139/810x Family Fast" - but sorry for being thick - we have a talk talk wireless adsl router

Is that right?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try re-setting your Router - to reset simply turn off Router at mains, wait 30 seconds, then turn on Router. It may take a minute or two for Router to get up and running again, but that is normal.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thank you but I've tried that already :-(

May have to phone the dreaded talk talk customer services.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You could try looking in Devices to see if there is any yellow exclamation mark against the Realtek hardware - and while there right-click on it and see if you have the option to update its Driver.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Go to command prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories) and type the following then press enter:

ipconfig

You should see a section called Ethernet Adapter Local Area Network (or something similar). Can you please tell us the following information from that:

IPv4 Address

Subnet Mask

Default Gateway

Also, are there any other computers connected to your router? If so, can they access the internet?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies.

I will try the above suggestions - but I am quite worried now as I phoned talk talk and they have said that because I can access the Internet on my phone and laptop, the problem is within my actual computer.

(They got me to reset Internet connections but it still didn't work - then after that said problem in my computer).

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Just tried was D@ve suggested but I'm running windows xp home. I typed the ipconfig in the command prompt box that came up under the accessories tab - but this is what came up:

"An internal error occurred. The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft for further help. Additional information - unable to query host name".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room