We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle not recognised by computer

johnincrete

Likes # 0

When I connect my Kindle to the USB port to charge it, I get a message from Windows (XP) saying that a device connected to a port is not recognised and offers no help.

Any ideas?

There is a small orange light shining on the Kindle next to the imput port which goes out when I disconnect.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Look here for suggested solutions.

Are you sure that the USB cable has the data lines connected? There are USB cables which only have the power lines connected and are only for charging.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have a Sony e-reader and the orange light is a charging light and if I look at 'drives' it list the e-reader along with c,d,e and any USB sticks I have plugged in.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

If you're only charging it, then it doesn't matter if the computer doesn't recognize it.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat By "remove" do you mean just remove the cables from the USB sockets? What about the mouse without which I can't do anything?

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

More puzzled! I switched the computer on this morning and left it while I made coffee. When I got back, there was a message to say that Windows had found new hardware. I connected the Kindle and... nothing! However, I left it connected to see if it charged. After about 5 minutes, Windows found the Kindle as if nothing had been wrong. So, thanks all: I'll keep this topic just in case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes