We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

netgear wireless router and switch non compatability

rupie

Likes # 0

Running a small office and my Internet comes in via a Netgear DGND3700 wireless modem router. It has to be in a seperate room to the office so I have run a network cable to connect. I have a Brother network printer and 2 Macs which need to be on the same network. I own a small netgear FS105 but when I put it on the end of the ethernet cable from the router and connect everything into the switch nothing can get IP addresses from the router, which has DCHP on. If I plug the printer direct, it works and the macs work wirelessly. The switch is used in in other areas of work and so cables and devices all work but not together.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Try disabling DHCP on the extension router/switch and plug the ethernet cable into port 1 instead of WAN port . See if that works ...

Ashley
Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Ok , I see that it is an unmanaged switch you are using , forget what I just wrote . Which port is the ethernet cable coming from ( from the GDND3700 )

Ashley
Like this post
rupie

Likes # 0

Lan port 3, what does the Ethernet wan port do ?

Like this post
rupie

Likes # 0

I have been doing some testing.

The cable between the router and office goes from downstairs to upstairs and over a couple of doors, it is cheap un sheilded cable, no more than 15m.

If I set everything up in the office, including the FS105, router, except the internet connection, using patch cables, the router gives everything Ip's ok and all is fine. I have networked 2 mac, 1 printer, the router and switch.

If i keep the FS105 powered, and turn everything else off and on, something odd happens. The macs and printers say they have no IP, until the router re allocates them one, but if I scan the lan for Ips there are now twice as many numbers and then each device says that there are conflicts. It would appear the FS105 keeps the Ip's of all the devices connected and does not release them, when the router tries to give the connected devices new Ip's.

Now you would instantly say that the Network cable into the office, from downstairs is too long but if this is the case then why does any single item connected to it, when the router is downstairs, get given an IP but not when the FS105 is in the line, shurely the switch should act as a re-clocker or signal amp, and not actually stop things ? The FS105 works over very long distances, when used for other things, same cable, sometimes with heavy mains twisted around it, albeit fixed IP.

Discuss.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

I trust the connection from the modem/router is going in to port 5 on the switch , what happens if you press the uplink button ( if it has one ..)

Ashley
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September