We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Case fan query

alB*
Resolved

Likes # 0

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P computer running Windows XP, just lately I’ve noticed that under heavy load the CPU fan increases speed, not a problem, so I decided to give the innards a good hoovering out. As you would expect there was the usual layer of dust etc especially on the CPU so I gave everything a good clean, on testing I noticed that the small case fan wasn’t working and by the clean look of it I’d say that it hasn’t been working for some time as it was virtually free from dust, my question is, could this be a temperature controlled fan or should it run all the time or could the fan be shot, the motherboard is a Fujitsu P5GD1-FM - Thanks for any help, ...alB

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I would say it is unlikely to be temperature controlled but if it is connected to the Motherboard try unplugging it and then attaching it again. if it is connected to a 4 pin Molex lead or indeed any other lead from the Power Supply Unit try the same again and if that does not work then try using another PSU lead if you have a spare one

Fans do fail from time to time and are relatively cheap to replace-which may be the best final action

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I would say it is unlikely to be temperature controlled but if it is connected to the Motherboard try unplugging it and then attaching it again. if it is connected to a 4 pin Molex lead or indeed any other lead from the Power Supply Unit try the same again and if that does not work then try using another PSU lead if you have a spare one

Fans do fail from time to time and are relatively cheap to replace-which may be the best final action

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

tigertops2, thanks for your reply, the fan is connected to the board with a three pin connector, I had already tried your suggestion of unplugging but to no avail, I think probably you are correct and a new fan is required ...alB

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Three Pins means it is a controlled Fan speed or on off, You could check BIOS for Fan Settings

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your help, I bought a new fan for a couple of quid and that doesn't work either so I can only presume that a. it's temperature controlled or b. something is duff on the MB. Can't see anything in the BIOS relating to fan speed, so I think it's a case of leave well alone, Thanks again ...alB

Like this post  
finerty

Likes # 0

erm did you buy the exact make and spec of the fan?

I suggest you buy the exact make and model and see if that one works.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I would suggest you get yourself a fan with a 4-pin molex plug that can connect directly to your PSU.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Or one of these.

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

finerty, just bought the same size fan so can't say it's exact, I'm going to try the suggestion made by Mr Mistoffelees and rdave13, at least the fan should run constantly then, thanks again for the help ...alB

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

alB*, you have two types of connectors, the +12v and +5v. If the fan is noisy at full speed (12v) then change connection to the +5v and it will run at half speed and will be quieter. I run my front (intake) fan at half speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers