We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

canon have asked me to create a new user account

palinka

Likes # 0

Canon Support have asked me to create a new user account on my computer and install the scanner software there, in a bid to track down the reason for the problem I'm having with my canon scanner. (see my thread "canon scanner stopped working" for details)

How do I do what they suggest? I'm using Vista home premium(32). I'd be grateful for step by step description please - I don't think it will cure the problem and I don't want to create another, different problem.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Setting up a new account is done through Start, Control Panel then User Accounts (that's on W7 - i think Vista is the same). You can then switch from one to the other via the Shut Down options.n However, you will still see the existing Canon software in the All Programs of the new account, so I'm not quite sure how it's going to help.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks very much, onthelimit1 . I'll give it a go - when I have time which may not be for a few days yet.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you had another problem with it? You said it was all fixed on your other thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4170942/canon-scanner-suddenly-stopped-working/

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Hi there Lotvic. It was and it wasn't. (It was OK but only until I switched off, after which same problem returned)
Meanwhile a friend passed his surplus HP scanner to me but it won't run on Vista and HP are not providing updated software.
So I've now come back to the problem and after trying yet more uninstals ans re-instals I decided to contact Canon.
I don't believe that Canon's suggestion will solve things but I'll give it go. Failing this it begins to look as if the only solution left is to buy a new scanner. Very annoying as this one is only just over 3 years old.

I'm following onthelimit1's instructions, but rather busy at the moment,so it may not get done for a day or two.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

I did as asked to do by Canon, with help form onthelimit1, and it had no effect on the problem. I've written to Canon to tell them. Meanwhile I still have no scanner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more