We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is this proxy - is it malware?

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I was prompted today to download the latest version of Norton Internet Security, which I did. During the installation process, I received the following report/dialogue box:

We have detected the proxy settings below on your computer.

http://iportal.dydus.org

I was then offered the choice of whether to continue using this proxy or not. I have never authorised the use of a proxy (and don't really understand what it is!), so I said no.

My questions are:

1. What does a proxy do?
  2. Any idea what this particular proxy is? Is it malware?
  3. Did I do the right thing in telling the Norton installation to refuse it?
  4. Will this refusal see the end of it, or should I look for it elsewhere on my computer, too? If so, how should I do that?

Sorry - I think I've just requested an entire tutorial! But any and all advice would be very welcome, please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you use Internet Explorer try Internet options.Connections.Lan settings. and underneath automatically detect settings is use a proxy server.If there is anything on that remove it and make sure the box is unticked.

If that was the case update your security programs and give them a run.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

This first part is from another forum ... A proxy basically hides your IP address and lets you surf through the IP address of the server. A good proxy will offer other security features but this is the most basic thing you will need a proxy for.

That particular proxy is in part a source of filth and other stuff you would not want as far as I can ascertain - get rid!

Yes, you did the right thing.

I would run a full scan with MalwareBtyes or similar to be on the safe side.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your responses.

I use Firefox as my browser, so I'll try to find the same route that you have recommended for IE, Jock1e.

Nontek - that sounds like good advice, which I'll follow.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, I've found the equivalent settings in Firefox, but I'd be very grateful for more advice, please.

The setting is headed Configure Proxy Settings For This Network.

The options are:-

• No Proxy
  • Auto-detect proxy settings for this network
  • Use system proxy settings (this is currently activated)
  • Manual proxy configuration

Is it OK to have the third item activated, or should I change the setting to "No Proxy"?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I also use Firefox - I have mine set to ... No Proxy.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well there is this.

If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then select No Proxy.

What way do you connect to the Internet.

A dial up connection would probably need a proxy server but any other way probably not.Hope I got that right.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Use system proxy settings (this is currently activated)" I had a look at mine and that's what I've got selected, although I have no idea why.

In IE for LAN I have got, 'Automatically detect settings' and for Proxy I don't have one (no green dot)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You might find this interesting ...

re - dialup and proxy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...