We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replace HDD in 14" Laptop (PB EasyNote NM85)

onion86
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My gf's laptop is ridiculously slow and I have a spare 128GB Crucial M4 SSD that I was going to put in to speed it up, the only problem is that the HDD doesn't seem to be easily removable like most laptops I'm used to (just slide out of SATA connector then remove).

The laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote NM85 (14") Tesco link to Laptop Does anyone know how I get the hard drive out of this particular model? (Packard Bell forums no longer available)

I'll take some pictures tonight if required but basically there is the normal removable cover over HDD/RAM but inside there is a metal cage around the HDD that clips under the shell and 0 space to remove it, maybe due to not having as much space as a regular 15". I can't find any other posts about this on forums/youtube etc. The next step is to remove the shell of the laptop but thought I'd ask for advice unless I'm missing something blindingly obvious as that seems too much effort for a simple job!

Thanks very much, Stu

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You should find instructions here (page 4) enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
onion86

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply northumbria but that isn't my laptop; I'm aware of Tim's site and had already looked through all of the easynote service manuals here (full list of Packard Bells as my first port of call but mine is not listed and none look like mine.

I did take some pics last night and I'll post them up this evening as they're on my camera at home but the base looks like this TS13. As you can see, the HDD/RAM cover is at the top of the pic, the HDD itself is under the top right, there is no access or removable sections from either side of the case left, right so the removable section is the only access.

Will post up the pics of HDD in situe tonight.

Like this post
onion86

Likes # 0

Note I say the pics above look 'like' my laptop (it isn't the actual model), the HDD/RAM cover looks identical and sides are filled with ports, which's why I used it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try Packard Bell Support enter link description here Calls cost 10p per minute.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like it comes out the side according to this.

There chould be 2 screws holding it in on the bottom of the case.Undo them and slide the hard drive out.

http://137.201.245.23/pdf/NACrucialC300-m4ssdinstallwarrantyRevA_online.pdf

Give it time to load.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well lets try it this way.

Crucil ssd install

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Press the installation part for refitting the hard drive and you need the likes od Adobe to open it if my 2nd link did not work.

Crucial

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My Medion Had side loaded drive but screws was in the side. It may also be behind the battery. Take the Battery out and have a look

Like this post
onion86

Likes # 0

Here we go, Rear of Case and HDD in metal casing. As you can see it doesn't come out of the side, there are audio ports there as the above photos I'd already posted and described. the 2nd pic shows the casing as far as it can be removed.

I was kind of avoiding calling PB support because they'll no doubt say "take it to a laptop repair place and pay them £££ to do this simple job because we won't tell you how".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room