We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse buttons no longer responding

Podracer

Likes # 0

A problem I have never come across before; Windows Vista on a quad core Hewlett Packard with plenty of RAM and HDD space.

Without warning the mouse buttons have ceased to have any effect. The pointer moves fine, but trying to click on the start menu, on any icon, or anything at all (eg, if using menus in MS Word) produces no effect.

We have changed the mouse, but to to avail (the original mouse works fine on another computer) - so it is not the mouse. Interestingly, trying to use the Windows key also has no effect, so the only way of shutting down is to hold down the computer switch. When we re-boot it, the mouse may OK for a few minutes, then the buttons (both left and right) cease to (but the pointer still moves).

We have installed no new software, and all anti-virus and malware scans are up to date and show no problems. Googling the problem does not come up with anything meaningful. Any useful suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may be time to type in the run box MSCONFIG, go to startup Tab and remove ticks other than Anti-Virus Restart PC then try PC if its okay restore startup items that you want to run at startup one at a time and reboot and test

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I had the exact same problem about a month ago but not sure how I fixed it.

Maybe it is a keyboard problem and not a mouse problem.Try updating the driver for it or role the driver back.

None of those work delete the driver and let microsoft install a new one at start up.

Try power options and set them all to never so that the computer does not go to sleep.

I also had problems in Services some programs were not running that should have been.

Like this post
Podracer

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions - we have now done a system restore (and we had to wait till it did work as SR does not work in safe mode....) going back to before the problem occurred, and (touch wood) it seems to be OK now. I will gradually move forward (eg, re-install a couple of Windows updates etc) and see if the problem re-occurs. But for the moment, all seems well.

In slow time, I will also try the MS config route - but it all takes time and at the moment I do not have the time to sit over a hot computer for too long.

Thanks for your interest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014