We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Novice

coolukey

Likes # 0

Hi I need a new lap top just to surf, email,ebay and do a bit of music download and cam corder editing.So, which is the best value for money one to get?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"So, which is the best value for money one to get?"

It's impossible to answer that unless we know what your budget figure is. Laptop prices vary considerably, and what represents best value in the £500/£700 price range will not necessarily bear comparison with the best value in the £1000/£1200 range.

Provide a budget, and we can make some recommendations. In the meantime take a look at this

Like this post
coolukey

Likes # 0

Hi 'Ed' Thanks for your reply. When I say novice it's for real.I have seen some recently around the £300 mark,mainly from the big outlets.For my very light usage they would be ok,but I just don't want to buy a 'dog'. Regards.

Like this post
coolukey

Likes # 0

Hi. Me again.To give you some idea of my usage,my present one has a 160gig hard drive and in 5yrs it's half full. Regards.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks for that information.

Bearing in mind all that you've said I think you might like this machine, which is on sale at the moment

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Why spend useful money on a new one?

A little gentle Housekeeping with CCleaner, which is free, and a Defrag, using the Windows own one that is already installed.

If you feel that you need to reduce the contents of the Hard Drive, an External Hard Drive (£50 or even less) can hold copies of your infrequently used or larger Files, and even provide space for a Back-up.

Like this post
coolukey

Likes # 0

Thanks 'Ed'

Great advice and info'. Much obliged. I just bought the latest version of your recommendation with Windows 8 for the same price. But it only comes with free 60 days Microsoft Office trial. Is it possible to download it free anywhere? or if not where's the cheapest place to get it? I actually only need the 'Word' element.

Regards.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There are plenty of "Word Compatible" Programs out there, that are free. No need to pay a lot, for facilities that you may not need.

Others will give you the low down on which is best of the freebie/inexpensive software currently available.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You won't get a free version of Microsoft Office, you'll need to pay for it if you have a specific need for it.

Otherwise Take a look at this it's free, and it's very good.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...