We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

chrome new tab shows history how to disable please

patso
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I have this problem with google chrome,when you restart the browser even against your wishes or using c cleaner when you open a new tab all your history is still there even banking details,i dont think this should be a part of any programme no matter what unless the user has the choice to enable this function,how can i disable this function and i dont mean adding an add on made by google either,thanks

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

You mean theres nobody out there with an answer?even google search has not got an answer for its own programme? Im shocked to say the least

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When I open a new tab I don't get my history. Actually do you mean you get a list of the sites that are most visited?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

See this New tab

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

For banking you should be using the incognito window. Ctrl-shift-n or click on the 3 bar icon at the right and choose new incognito window.

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for the replies. I found w few other links here http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/yGHM5Vblq9Y I know about incognito mode I'm just saying all the sites visited turn up in new tab even when you shut down and restart Chrome and when you click the x another thumbnail appears underneath. This is not a good feature if its not user defined and Google give no option to turn it off. Thanks

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Thanks woolwell yes I do mean the thumbnail when you x one another shows up underneath. The link you sent was good but doesn't solve the problem is the history showing up. I will try an extension and post back results. Thanks again

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Chrome is not very thorough in cleaning out its history. The best you can do within Chrome is to hit CTL+SHIFT+DEL which will open up Chrome's clear browsing history dialogue. Change the drop down list to be "the beginning of time" and check all the boxes and hit "Clear Browsing Data". But there will still be vestiges of your history left in certain files.

Ccleaner plays catch-up with Chrome as Chrome changes things around as new versions are released. In Ccleaner I currently have Chrome application selected with all boxes ticked. But even that does not do everything. In Ccleaner's Options, Include I also have the following set to be deleted as I have found that all of these files may contain traces of web browsing.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Favicons

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Shortcuts

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I haven't used Chrome but in Firefox to stop that you have to use

about:config and set the value browser.newtab.url = about:blank

or whatever url you want the newtab to show. I have about:blank as I like it blank. More info on mozilla support

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

To my knowledge, Chrome only allows use of about:blank on the start-up of Chrome. Any new tabs then opened or additional instances of Chrome always show recent usage (as a series of mini page views) within the tab. This is not good, I admit.

The best one can do is eradicate the history as far as practicable as I have endeavoured to explain.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Something else to browse, How do I completely disable Web History

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'