We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't access website, others can

amelio8

Likes # 0

Hi,

There's a website I can't get access to at home it's www.cidervinegarhealth.net It's only a holding page at the moment. When I try to access it on my phone or pc through the wifi I can't. When I switch wifi off I can get the site over the phone network. I phoned a friend and she can get the site okay. I have done everything, unplugged the router, deleted browser cache information but to no avail.

I phoned AOL help and he could not get the site either, he said they weren't using AOL as they were in India.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The name is hosted by 1and1.co.uk and registered to a person in Norwich.

I suggest you have a word with 1&1. I can load the holding page without any problems.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The site is cidervinegarhealth.com - enter link description here

Like this post
amelio8

Likes # 0

Thanks Forum Editor, it's a domain I registered a few weeks ago but still can't access it to do anything with it. It doesn't make sense why some people can access a domain whilst others can't. You can't imagine that happening with amazon so why is it happening here? My host thought something may have happened and my ip was being blocked but there are others who can't access it either so I don't think that can be the case.

Hi northumbria61, Yes there is also a .com but the .net is going to be much better! :-) that is, when I can do anything with it!

Appreciate your replies.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This is what I get.

This is the holding page for cidervinegarhealth.net

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps your isp is not accessing it because there is no real content.

What do you mean by "still can't access it to do anything with it.". Don't you create a site then upload it?

Like this post
amelio8

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e, You're getting the holding page okay, that's what I can't get.

Woolwell, appreciate the response. Don't think isp's discriminate based on content, I might be wrong there but not in my experience. I use dreamweaver, when you set a site up in it you put in the cpanel name and password and check for a connection that way you can create and upload. I'm not even able to do that because at home my broadband goes through aol. Jock1e got the site okay but it still eludes me. I'll probably use wordpress, I could upload that directly using cpanel but I wouldn't be able to access the wp dashboard as thats all done by pointing the browser to the web address.

I'm in contact with my host to see if they can help.

Appreciate any thoughts and the help people are giving me.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

amelio8, yours sounds like a name-resolution problem. To prove this (if you're using a Windows computer), open a Command Prompt window, type this and press enter on your keyboard:

ping www.cidervinegarhealth.net

Folks who can get to your site should see this as the first line of the output:

Pinging cidervinegarhealth.net [67.228.22.56] with 32 bytes of data:

What IP address (the numbers enclosed in brackets) do you get? If instead you get an error message then let us know what it is. Reply too with the version of Windows your computer's using.

Depending on your reply, I may be able to suggest a suitable workaround.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

If it is a new site, perhaps your ISP has not updated their Domain Name Server with the new site details. That could explain why others (using a different ISP or DNS) can access it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"If it is a new site, perhaps your ISP has not updated their Domain Name Server with the new site details."

That's what I think too. The OP hasn't replied so perhaps his ISP's DNS server now has a record for his website. If not then my plan was to configure his PC (or router) to use a couple of OpenDNS servers as they are also able to resolve www.cidervinegarhealth.net to its correct IP address.

Like this post
amelio8

Likes # 0

Hi,

I got a resolution. This is what my web host said...

'I found some incorrect DNS entries that were likely causing the problems for your domain. I have fixed them now, but it may take 12 hours or so to refresh. Let us know if you're able to access by that time.'

Appreciate People offering advice.

Thanks

Paul R

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to