We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows mail working but browser say no connection

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Laptop running vista, connecting via wi-fi.

Firefox will for maybe 10 minutes then fail to connect. Connection appears to be fine - local and internet, but to get Firefox to work I have to disconnect & reconnect again.

Strange thing is that windows mail continues to work normally & emails keep coming.

Rarely use IE but that seems to suffer the same problem. Any ideas folks?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

just disconnected & reconnected, now ipv6 showing limited, but browser is working!

I've finished for today - getting a headache......

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Suggest you ignore ipv6

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Sorry about going quite for a week or two, but I was making no progress on this ongoing problem.

I pinched a lead from one of my NAS drives & plugged it into the laptop & it works perfectly. Just annoying that I can't solve the wireless problem.

So that proves something?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Can't say I ever found out what the real problem was, but the Belkin modem router became very temperamental and the broadband connection kept dropping, even with the pc which was wired to it. I wondered if it was my broadband line at fault and tried the original Sagem modem, but there were no problems when using that.

The previous Belkin unit had failed after about 3 years, this one was about the same age, so replaced it with a Netgear modem router & everything now works.

g-g

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger