We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows mail working but browser say no connection

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Laptop running vista, connecting via wi-fi.

Firefox will for maybe 10 minutes then fail to connect. Connection appears to be fine - local and internet, but to get Firefox to work I have to disconnect & reconnect again.

Strange thing is that windows mail continues to work normally & emails keep coming.

Rarely use IE but that seems to suffer the same problem. Any ideas folks?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Started in safe mode & full system scan running.

I have looked at connection settings in the past & that is set for "use system proxy settings". Have not noticed that change at any time I have tried to find the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

"use system proxy settings". What proxy settings and where? What security software do you use?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

I use Norton Internet Security 2012.

The proxy setting mentioned is that in firefox/options/tools/advanced/settings. Only place I could think of to check.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use 'no proxy settings' in the latest Firefox browser. Think it's a Norton problem. Have a look at the system rules in your Norton suite. Firewall, AV or antimalware. Try to update the suit. I can't help with your problem as I think it will be to do with your security software as opposed to malware.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

No problems with full system scan.

Firefox now set to "no proxy" and browser still working, so will see how that goes.

Thanks all, will keep you posted.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check IE is also working. Is Firefox set as default? If so then reset IE as default browser.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Do you only have Norton or do you have the Likes of MalwareBytes to back it up.Norton on it's own will not be good enough to stop all problems.

Something to try.

The next time it is working right click your network connection on the Taskbar and click on Open network and sharing center.

Click on wireless network connection.Then details.

Write down all of your connections and the next time your connection drops off check the settings again and let us know if there is any change.

I get the odd problem like that using Virginmedia and sometimes have to change the settings to stay connected.

Now I am using W/7 and that's how I get there using that.it may be slightly different using Vista I don't know.But you should still be able to get into the settings details.

Sometimes it is a bad DNS connection that needs to be changed.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Switched off ready for bed, will do tomorrow

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Since setting "no proxy setting" in Firefox it hasn't lost a connection. So far so good, will update you over the next day or so.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Lost connection a couple of times.

Comparing 2 different vista wireless laptops connection:-

trouble free one:-

ipv4 connectivity - internet. ipv6 connectivity - local

Problem one when it wasn't working:-

ipv4 connectivity - local. ipv6 connectivity - limited

But now I can't get it to fail & it is showing internet & local

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses