We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows mail working but browser say no connection

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Laptop running vista, connecting via wi-fi.

Firefox will for maybe 10 minutes then fail to connect. Connection appears to be fine - local and internet, but to get Firefox to work I have to disconnect & reconnect again.

Strange thing is that windows mail continues to work normally & emails keep coming.

Rarely use IE but that seems to suffer the same problem. Any ideas folks?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

have a look in device manager and see it there is any difference (yellow triange!) between when it works and when it has disconnected.

Have you tried using a cable instead of wireless connection?

Also check Java and Flash are up to date, there was another thread that had similar problem and I found this http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2012-blocks-Java-applications-from-accessing-the-internet/td-p/535630

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There have been a few problems with Norton and java before.

The latest version is this.

http://www.filehippo.com/downloadjre32/

If your version is older either update it from Control panel or use that update that I posted.

make sure you do not allow it to download the ask toolbar and what comes with it.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Did a dearch for "check wlan" and Orange web site had a page how to check it.

Followed instructions and it was "started" and startup "automatic".

I'm doing this typing on desktop. Email was downloading on the problem laptop but browser not working.

Just tried IE. That didn't work either, message came up "Diagnose connection problem" so clicked on link and got message "Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection"

Just disconnected from network & connected again, so started working again - but it won't last long!! Just got 5986 & 795 on speedtest.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Just realised replies go on to page 2.

I don't have java installed. I removed it following a computeractive article, but the wifi problems were around before it was removed.

That hippo link doesn't work.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

No yellow triangles in device manager, just waiting for browser to fail & will check again.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

IE & Firefox both just failed to load pages after working for about 30 minutes, email ok though.

No yellow triangles anywhere in device manager.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Next to try is the cable connection instead of wireless.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sounds like a trojan. Allows connection for a while then changes to a proxy server but allows email connection for info. Run your security software in safe mode.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Little bit more which might help.

When browsers weren't connecting, I tried sending an email - but it wouldn't send. Emails could be downloaded though, so it seemed like 1-way traffic, coming in but not going out.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When browsers not connecting check that no proxy servers are in use, hence my previous post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...