We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows mail working but browser say no connection

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Laptop running vista, connecting via wi-fi.

Firefox will for maybe 10 minutes then fail to connect. Connection appears to be fine - local and internet, but to get Firefox to work I have to disconnect & reconnect again.

Strange thing is that windows mail continues to work normally & emails keep coming.

Rarely use IE but that seems to suffer the same problem. Any ideas folks?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Still no answers to the problem?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try switching the router off and on again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried your download speed.

Give this a run if you haven't. http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

First of all switched router off for a minute, then back on. Laptop would not connect, but desktop pc (wired to modem) was connected and accessing internet.

Restarted laptop & connected to internet. Checked download speed and got:- laptop 5418 download 790 upload desktop 6519 download 804 upload

Emails coming in fine, but then browser stopped - connection was reset message. email still working though. Access showing as local & internet.

Had to right click on the icon to disconnect, then right click & connect to wiress network again. Laptop browser then works again with similar speeds.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Indications are that there is a problem with the wireless connection. But not sure whether it is at laptop or router end. It is odd not to lose email if the internet is not working. How long has this problem been happening? It may be worthwhile doing a system restore to just before the problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In your Firewall check that you have given Firefox permission to connect to the internet. It sometimes happens after programs (firefox in your case) have checked for updates if you haven't got them listed as ok in your Firewall list.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic - good idea but also happens with IE? (see first post).

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Yes, I'm confused that email works but browser keeps losing connection.

It's my wife's laptop, which I've only recently started using. Because of this, it has had very little installed in the way of software. It has Norton Internet Security, as does my laptop, and only being used for a bit of browsing & internet banking - plus playing a few games, there has been no need to keep backing it up.

She always complained she couldn't access her bank account, and my answer was always disconnect & connect again, which would get it working long enough for her to do what she wanted. Now I'm using it, the problem is rather annoying, and I can't really go back to a point to where it was working properly

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

As a little add on to this, I have an old xp laptop, which when connected via wi-fi stays connected indefinitely when using the browser, so the signal from the router isn't a problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried updating the wireless driver.

Or maybe check in services for WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic and is running.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes