We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Freezes on boot up

peterleay

Likes # 0

My Acer [Vista] tower freezes when I open a browser, and I cann't 'unfreeze' it, eve via cntrl-alt-dlte But if I start the pc in safe/networking mode I can access everything online, but not any programmes [eg Photoshop] presumably because drivers are disabled in safe mode. I tried 2 system restarts but no joy. Any ideas?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you try last good configuration in safe mode.

You don't use tune up utilities do you.

Have you had a look in device manager to see if there are any problems.

Like this post
peterleay

Likes # 0

Jock1e ~ you've asked me three questions I don't understand! 'last good configuration' - do you mean system restart? Don't know what tune up utilities are , so I guess I don;t use them. Don't know if this is relevant to that but I do use Soluto. And if I look in device manager what should I be looking for? I just looked and there 's a list of everything but no notations or anything. Sorry to be a pain. Isn't there something which can scan your pc to detect what's wrong?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I don't suppose it has been running fairly slow for a while then freezes.

You could run chkdsk and make sure both boxes are ticked if it finds any problems it should repair them but if it does not finish it's scan it could be a hard drive problem.

That will take a long while to run so leave it as a last resort.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried disabling Start-up Programs in MSCONFIG?

type MSCONFIG in Run then press enter go to Start-up tab and remove start-up items, do not stop your Anti-Virus running. You can re-enable these if you like one at a time and test to find the problem program

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014