We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rooting- and how do I know if the device is?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

In trying to get Android reloaded- and the difficulty I am having- the mention had been made of ensuring the device is 'Rootied'

This I gather is the same as Administrator in M/S Parlance or Sudo in Linux.

When I switch on the device whilst holding down +Volume the screen presents with the Android icon prone and ready for operating upon. The screen comes up and invites to load from external storage/device Can I assume that is 'Rooted' and it is ready to go?

Liive suite Is a program that is run in a Windows computer to aid in this process. It comes as a .rar files which is a zip file.

Unpacked it presents an .exe file which needs to be run in the Windows machine before connecting the tablet to proceed further.

Getting the file unpacked OK

But it will not ruin on XP Vista or Win 7- though it is rated to do so.

Any useful thoughts please

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The word is Rooted, meaning you have access to log on as Root, or in otherwords with un-restricted superuser right, the best place for how to advice and guidance on tablet firmware updates are sites like SlateDroid ,Merimobiles and a few hundred more out there ,but tread warily there are also lots of gotcha`s just waiting for you to come along ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

"When I switch on the device whilst holding down +Volume the screen presents with the Android icon prone and ready for operating upon. The screen comes up and invites to load from external storage/device Can I assume that is 'Rooted' and it is ready to go?"

No, being able to access the Boot Loader does not imply that your device is rooted.

I'm not quite following the end of your post to advise any further. Exactly which part are you struggling with and what are you trying to achieve? I'm not an expert in this area by any means, although I have rooted and installed a custom ROM on my own phone so will try and help if I can, but I think T0SH's advice of asking on a proper Android forum may be a good idea.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Do be careful, I have never rooted my Android phone, but have considered it and done some research. It sounds like it can be a very good option if you are a phone 'techie' and like to customise and have total control of your phone..... the down side is that if you do not follow the correct sequence precisely, and use the correct software for the job, you can 'brick' your phone completely. So I suggest using some of the sites mentioned by T0SH above, or various others and be CERTAIN you know what you're getting into BEFORE you start.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the warnings.

I am acutely aware of the pit falls having been messing with and building and breaking putery things these past 30 years or so.

I certainly would not be attempting this procedure had the device not stopped functioning.

As I have had it a month or so I am working through the supplier- who is issuing the advice - so back it goes if it becomes bricked totally

Mean while any practical advice would be appreciated especially with regard to Live Suit

Like this post
radi8or

Likes # 0

Was going to root my new Sony Tablet S till I found out there is a factory recall on it, waiting for date when they are going to pick it up.

Got info for rooting it from http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php.

Supposedly the best site for all things root.

HTH :0))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen