We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer M5201 Fan Speed Strange Annoyance

Keith1956

Likes # 0

I have an Acer M5201 desktop which came with windows vista, I since put Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on. The problem I have is that when I start up the PC, the fan comes on very noisy at full speed and doesn't slow down at all, I seem to remember that it used to come on full speed for a few seconds and then slow down, however the strange thing is, if I put it to sleep, and then wake it up immediately (or at any time later) when it comes back on, the fan is slow and fairly quiet, and performs correctly, so it only speeds up if it gets hot and then slows down again. The PC isn't getting overly hot causing the fan to remain on full as the sleep wake cycle makes it work correctly, I have checked the CPU and it is around the 47 mark. Any suggestions please?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Did you install motherboard drivers after you upgraded to Windows 7?

Like this post
Keith1956

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply, I installed all the updates from the ACER support site but don't think there were any specific motherboard drivers, could that be the issue? where would I get them?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Cannot post a proper link as the various buttons above the reply box are not appearing. Have a look here. http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_m5201.html#driver and in particular the chipset drivers.

Like this post
Keith1956

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the Chipset drivers, however they are only the Vista ones, but I thought they may have been updated ones to the ones I have, unfortunately it has not made any difference, thanks anyway :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried device manager to see if any problems on there.

Is it up to date with Windows Updates and do you have the latest service packs downloaded.

Like this post
Keith1956

Likes # 0

Yes all updates downloaded, always on auto download. Device manager all good even the hidden ones, thanks again for the help :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When the fan comes on have you tried Taskmanager to see what is using up the cpu.

If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% which is correct,anything else using up a lot of the cpu let us know what.

Like this post
Keith1956

Likes # 0

The fan speed is not related to anything running at all, when the PC first boots up it runs flat out constantly, until it has had a sleep-wake cycle, then it works normally after that. I have run it for an hour or more after the initial boot up to see if it did eventually slow down, but there was no change in fan speed at all, with the fan on full and being deafened (well not quite deafened) but just by putting it to sleep and waking, all goes quiet and peace is resumed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok I thought that it may have been on a continuous loop installing Windows updates.

I don't suppose there could be a CD stuck in the drive.

Like this post
Keith1956

Likes # 0

No there is no CD in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...