We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Query On Portable Hard Drive (software)

Noisy_Boy

Likes # 0

Hi,

Firstly forgive me but I'm not very technical minded and wasn't entirely sure which section to put this in. I recently bought a Samsung M3 1T Portable hard drive and have an enquiry I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with.

When I plug in and install the Samsung portable hard drive manager software, it seems a quick launch icon is automatically installed which appears in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop a short while after start up.

The first issue is that a box appears every time I start up saying 'Samsung hard drive manager' which fades when I move my cursor but really is unwanted. But more importantly, when I shut down without exiting the programme I get an error message come up saying the software is still running in the background. This happens regardless to whether the hard drive is plugged in, so the software appears to run permanently in the background once installed.

The thing is I only intend to use the hard drive very occasionally and so don't really want to have the bother of an two extra clicks to exit the manager every time I shut down my computer. I would just uninstall the software but ideally I would like to utilise the 'secure zone' facility (which I assume can only be done with the software installed). I have tried deleting the drive manager from my 'start-up folder' but that didn't help, it still launched when I restarted. I can't find any options anywhere in the manager for this sort of thing, and don't appear to be given any options regarding auto-launching or anything during the software installation process either . So it just seems to be an all or nothing deal. Which is less than ideal under the circumstances. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Do not delete the software from the External Hard Drive as it may not work after. It may be a Dynamic Drive overlay that as been used on it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Download CCleaner here

Install and Run it

click on Tools - startup

highlight the Samsung Manager and click Disable

This will leave the software on your PC but stop it from starting at boot up.

you could still use the program by clicking on its entry in programs on the Start menu

If you decide to use it at start later, just click on enable

Like this post
Noisy_Boy

Likes # 0

That's fantastic, that solves the problem right there. The CCleaner is a nice little programme although you'd think Samsung should give you some sort of easy 'disable at boot up' option on their software rather than needing additional.

As it goes it had already installed a desktop icon anyway which was all I really wanted so I don't need to go into start menu to use it. After I had disabled, I plugged the drive in and opened the software half expecting it to re-enable itself at boot up thereafter but was glad to find that wasn't the case.

So sorted. Thank you, advice much appreciated.

Like this post
Noisy_Boy

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks for the tip, (I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to deleting stuff anyway) but I'll be careful not to delete that software. Cheers.

Like this post
buoi

Likes # 0

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

buoi has been posting spam on several threads... ignore that link.

FE informed... FE feel free to delete this post in the tidy-up!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK