We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to move folders on Windows 7

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have just replaced my desktop pc with a laptop and have a couple of queries someone mi.ght help with. 1st one when I delete.something I am left with a dot see the words mig.ht and delete.I cannot seem to be able to delete the dots.This ..causes a problem especially if I make a spelling mistake while writing a email address as I have to go all the way out and back in again.2nd problem I have a couple of folders in my documents which I want to move to my external hard drive but cannot see the move icon anywhere.It was easy when using XP can someone help.I am using office 2003.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am not so sure about the . problem, but you should be able to drag and drop folders from/to your external hard drive.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Dots.

Going back to the early days of computing, the dots refered to levels on the hard drive. e.g. You had c: (root) then documents (level one- One dot), sub folder from documents become level 2- (2 dots) etc. Did you copy the documents from the Desktop or do a direct transfer, as that may be the problem.

Moving Folders.

On the drive where you want to put the documents create a folder (any name you choose).

From the desktop on the laptop, Right click on Documents and select Properties. Change the default address to the folder you have just created.You will then get the option to MOVE all documents. select OK and all documents will be moved to the new drive and removed from c: drive.The sjhortcut for Documents will remain on the desktop, but all new documents will automaticly got to the new location.

Terry

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

hI TERRY BROWN DID WHAT YOU SUGGESTED THE FOLDERS ARE LOCATED IN MY DOCUMENTS.I RIGHT CLICKED ON THEM SELECTED PROPERTIES BUT COULD NOT SEE THE DEFAULT ADDRESS TO MOVE THEM FROM.I HAVE CREATED THE NEW FOLDERS.COULD YOU ADVISE MORE THANKS

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When you are deleting something is this when you are using word or e-mail? How and what are you deleting? If you toggle the pilcrow button in Word then a space will show as a dot so mig ht shows as mig.ht with the dot not completely at the bottom.

With the 2 folders there are several ways to get them to your external hard drive. In documents click on organise and copy the folders then paste into the hard drive then delete from the original location (safer than cut and paste). Instead of organise right click on the folders can copy and paste again. Open Documents and the external drive and drag and drop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...