We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My computer is continually freezing

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

I run Windows XP. My computer is continually freezing while I am using Internet Explorer and Incredimail. The only way to exit the various programmes is to use the Windows Task Manager. I have run AVG, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner but this has made no difference. Can anyone suggest how I can stop this happening?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have red crosses on Modem > Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem, and network adapters > Am1772(tm) Wireless LAN Chipset, and yellow question marks with red crosses on top on Other Devices > Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller.

Not impressed with your MS engineer if he's left it in this state!

How is it connected to the internet? modem into a usb port or ethernet cable to a router? Your Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem is for an old style telephone connection and can be ignored. Am1772(tm) Wireless LAN Chipset is to allow you to connect to a router via wireless (disabled or no drivers at present)

Other Devices > Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller. right click on these and select properties and tell us the error code no.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry it should be Command prompt in accessories.

Right clicking my computer and choosing properties should tell you what installed memory[RAM] that you have Mine says 8Gb.

It may be different on XP but not as far as I can remember.

Looks like you may have a few problems in device manager but I will leave that for Fruit Bat /\0/\ to sort out for you.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat^0^ My PC was fine when the MS engineer left which was about 2 weeks ago. This problem has only happened within the last 2 days.

My PC is connected to Sky broadband using their router and a cable (which I presume is an ethernet one).

I have checked the properties of those items with both red crosses, and yellow question marks and red crosses, and they have all been disabled and are not in use. There are no error codes.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried using a different Browser? if you use IE why not download Firefox and try that. It could be the Graphics Driver but doubt it as it would have most like been like it for some while. But there are that many things that can be the problem. Drivers being one of the formost

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

My defrag has just finished, and even though it is running a bit slowly, the freezing problem appears to have stopped!! Can't understand that, as it only needed a 1% defrag (using Defraggler from Piriform). I will (pardon the pun!) moniter it over the next 24 hours and see if this improvement is permanent, and will then report back to you all.

Thank you so much, guys, for all your help and support.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

check how much free space is left on your hard drive

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

woodchip Figures are now:

Used space 59,478,200,832 bytes Free space 191,568,924,672 bytes Capacity 251,047,125,504 bytes

Also, I've just found out that I have 2.49Gb of RAM, and that the speed of my CPU is 2.67Ghz.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It may just have been caused by the latest set of M$ Updates.

Mine appears to be curing itself

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

My apologies for not reporting back sooner, but I have not been well. After running the defrag, my computer stopped freezing, and has been running OK ever since. Many thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......