We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My computer is continually freezing

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

I run Windows XP. My computer is continually freezing while I am using Internet Explorer and Incredimail. The only way to exit the various programmes is to use the Windows Task Manager. I have run AVG, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner but this has made no difference. Can anyone suggest how I can stop this happening?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, there are so many reasons for computer freezing - first thing I guess is age and state of the hardware, the older it is the more likely problems like this will arise due to wear and tear etc. Has the computer recently been opened up - perhaps something has become partially dislodged, a good check inside case for any loose components/cables, is inside clean and free from dust/fluff etc - a birds nest inside case is not a good sign, and over-heating can cause freezes. Is the case in a good position regarding air circulation around it, above and below also?

Any recent changes additions/deletions to Software, are the 'problem' programs fully up-to-date?

That is just for 'starters', I am sure others will be forthcoming with their own ideas and suggestions too.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat^0^Sorry for the delay in replying but it has taken me until now to get back on the Forum due to my computer freezing up all the time. Thank you for you suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not know a great deal about the inner working of computers and consequently do not know how to use a lot of them.

(1) I know my PC is not overheating as it was only cleaned out a couple of weeks ago.

(2) I do not know what PSU voltages are or how to check/correct them if they are faulty.

(3) I do not think it is being caused by household power surges as I have a surge protector attached to the electrical connection of my PC. But even if it is that, I have no idea how to find out if it is happening or how to put it right.

(4) I went to the free download of memtest86.com but it was far too technical for me to work out which version I should use. My Computer says I have a total of 233GB on local Disc C. Is this the memory stick you are referring to?

(5) I have already run scans with my AVG and Malwarebytes and they showed nothing amiss.

(6) As regards 'driver conflicts' and 'graphics cards' I have no idea how to check for this or where my graphics cards are located, nor do I know which latests drivers I should get or how to get them.

My apologies for troubling you, but would you be able to explain these things to me at greater length?

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Nontec My PC is about 7 years old, but I have not had problems like this before. It is clean inside, and I know nothing is loose inside it as I watched the Microsoft engineer who "serviced" my PC a couple of weeks ago check every connection.

There have not been any additions or deletions to software recently. The problem programmes are Incredimail and Internet Explorer/Google. I have the latest version of Incredimail, but have no idea how to update IE or Google - didn't even know that was possible!

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Question 1- For how long is it Freezing- A few seconds, a minute or longer or do you have to restart the system to clear it.

Question 2

How much drive space do you have available. From My Computer , go to View and select details You should have at least 20% of free space available.

Question 3

is it mainly when you are using the internet or at other times.

When was the last time you made a complete defragment of system

Open My Computer For all drives: Right click and select properties, untick the index option and allow the attributes to adjust.

From your system drive right click and select 'Disk Cleanup, accept defaults.

Shut down completly and re-start computer.

You should notice a difference. Terry

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My post applies if its freezing at any time especially when heavily loaded.

1/3/5 OK

233Gb space left on D means you have plenty of capacity on your drive

2 - Worry about as a last resort means a new PSU

4 - This is a step by step guide with audio and video to explain how to use memtest to see if your memory is defect:

http://www2.corsair.com/training/howtomemtest/

6 - right click My computer select manage - device manager see any exclamation marks against any drivers there?

If only freezing on the internet / e-mail I suggest you attempt a repair of IE see here

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Terry Brown Thank you very much for your suggestions.

(1) It freezes and remains frozen until I end the programme with the Task Manager.

(2) The Local Disc C total is 233GB. The free space is 178GB.

(3) It happens when I am using IE/Google, though Incredimail is affected too.

(4) It is a couple of weeks since I last did a defrag, and will do that as soon as I have posted this reply.

(5) I tried to adjust the attributes as you suggested, but when I clicked on Apply, the following message appeared:

Error Applying Attributes An error occurred applying attributes to the file: C:\a968bc7c4fa6d7e12619\MRT.exe Access is denied. I was then given the following options:- Ignore Ignore All Retry Cancel

Should I try again or cancel it?

(6)I will also do the Disc Cleanup routine after posting this.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could remove Incredimail to see if it makes any difference and if not install it again.

If you do not have another browser installed download Firefox and see if that runs ok.

In Taskmanager under processes is anything eating up the CPU.If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% which is normal.Anything else using a lot let us know what.

To get to device manager right click my computer and then click on properties.Now I am not sure which box you have to open but click on each seperately till you see device manager on one of them and open it up.See if there are any yellow exclamation marks on it.

Internet options.Advanced.and press reset advanced settings and see if that makes any difference.

If no difference click reset which will restore I/E to it's original settings.

Now try this one first.

All programs.Accessories.Right click CMD and click run as administrator.

Then type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.It should tell you that the dns cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.Leave a small gap between the ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I watched the Microsoft engineer.Where did you get him.It was not someone who contacted you by phone by any chance.if so contact us again ASAP.

How much memory have you got on the computer.If you right click my Computer and then properties it should tell you on that if it is only 512Mb that may be where your problem is.

Now in answer to one of the other questions have you removed or changed any of your Security programs lately.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Jock1e Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the middle of running a defrag, so I can't reset IE until its finished as I need to do a re-start after I've done it. The same goes for ipconfig /flushdns.

Re Device Manager, I have red crosses on Modem > Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem, and network adapters > Am1772(tm) Wireless LAN Chipset, and yellow question marks with red crosses on top on Other Devices > Multimedia Controller and Multimedia Video Controller.

Re: 'All programs.Accessories.Right click CMD and click run as administrator', CDM does not appear in accessories. Does it have another name?

No, the MS engineer didn't ring me. I've known him for years and he has always done all the major work on my PC and laptop. I'm trying to sort this problem out myself as his fees are a bit high!

When I right-clicked My Computer > properties, there was no mention of memory, and no figures, but when I left-clicked it, it said I have 55.3 GB of used space, and 178 GB of free space. Is this the memory you mentioned?

And finally, no - I haven't removed or changed any of my security programmes lately.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen