We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What has happened with my adobe programmes.

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

After a full system restore on my Asus wndows vista laptop I have had to re-install the adobe reader programmes, I have installed adobe flash player 11 active X and adobe reader X (10.4.1) BUT the files which open with adobe pdf and previously had the pdf icon on them now dont have any icon on them and when I click on them I get a window saying the file cant be opened. What should I do? is there another adobe programme that I have missed? I think I had an adobe acrobat programme but I cant find a free download for this on the net? is that why the documents dont have the pdf icon on them in my docs. folder? and what should I do?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, I am currently running Adobe flash player 11 active X and Adobe reader X (10.1.4) on the vista laptop, if I choose an earlier version from that link you sent would it overwrite the ones I have installed - or should I uninstall these first?? - I dont think there are any issues with any other programmes on the Vista laptop since I did the recovery, I cant see how it can be a file association problem as it all worked fine with the original adobe programmes and this current one works OK but doesnt put the acrobat icon on the files in my docs folder, but the new programme link for Foxit reader that Rdave sent yesterday has installed OK and is working fine (its just that I would rather have the adobe acrobat icons on all my docs) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, I am doing that on the Vista laptop and am downloading acrobate reader 9.5 version, will see what happens, will let you know....... LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I tried to download the earlier version 9.5 of adobe reader but it says (right near the end of the install process) that a later version is running and the download will terminate, so I am now going to uninstall the latest adobe read X (10.1.4) and try again with the 9.5 version adobe reader. Should I uninstall the Foxit programme also? as when I right click on any document in the docs folder it automatically shows the Foxit icon on the document and says that this is the only programme that till open it? LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

WOW!! WOW!!! I uninstalled the 10.1.4 adobe reader and then installed the earlier 9.5 version (there were only two options available off the adobe website for my vista laptop, and lo and behold all my documents have now got the adobe icon on them and they DO open in adobe reader format!! So please I have got them all back in the adobe reader icon type!! uninstalled the Foxit programme as I dont think I will ever need that now, Thanks alot!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
brambles

Likes # 0

ADOBE READER XI is the latest downloaded a few days ago.

Brambles

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I will stick with the earlier 9.5 version after all this trouble with later version that dont work properly. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback