We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Free Back Up Programme for Win 7 64 bit

Joe G

Likes # 0

Hi all

I've got Macrium Reflect on my laptop and wondering whether to install it on my newish PC that I haven't backed up yet - or is there a better free programme out there nowadays or is the inbuilt Windows backup sufficient? Not needed to use Reflect to restore the laptop so no idea how good/easy it is compared to other programmes

Any advice most welcome!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To be honest I went for Paragon Hard disk manager 12, paid for version. When it comes to working with hard drives I chickened out of the free versions as my personal data is very important to me and mine. Having said that this link should give you some info of free versions.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Back in January, I used the in-built backup program [when prompted to do so] on my sister's new [windows7 64-bit] Acer laptop, the first time she switched it on. It was a very straight-forward procedure and required 3 blank DVDs for the backup. I also created a Repair Disk.

After downloading and installing service pack1, I repeated the above backup procedure (now containing sp1) on to another 3 DVDs.

Last week her laptop would not boot up (for whatever reason?)...fortunately, the restoration procedure was successful and I would recommend the in-built program that already comes with win7 64-bit.

ps. I use Ocster Backup Pro on my computers (all XP).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

3 DVDs. Blimey I'm lucky to use an image on an external. It gets expensive to reimage on to DVDs after a while. Then you need to store them, date them and file them where you can get them. I prefer imaging on to an usb drive or another data drive connected to the motherboard.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

rdave13 - That's exactly what I said to my sister and recommended a 320gb usb hard disk that Argos are selling just now at £40.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added