We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Done check disc - both options.

First option to automatically fix file system errors resulted in this:

"Some problems were found and fixed...... Any files affected by these problems were moved to a file called FOUND".

And scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors resulted in this:

"Your device or disk was successfully scanned. No problems were found. It is now ready to use".

So what/where is the error that caused windows to not boot up? What would I need to do to put the hard drive back in the comp and fix it?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

See my post at bottom of page 7. (I hope you have copied any stuff you want to keep)

CHKDSK may have fixed it. You will have to try it and see what happens/if any error messages before any suggestions can be made.

Try a normal boot first, then try a F8 Safe Boot.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Don't worry lotvic - it will all be backed up before I even attempt putting it back in lol. :-)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

Well after all your fabulous help, I am now using my computer again - it's back up and running!!!!

I'm so chuffed with myself for fixing it (with your help) - not bad for a girl ey?!

All work was backed up before rebooting and I can't say thank you enough!

Will now mark this as resolved (while I'm on my computer! :-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tanks for the feedback, Glad your sorted.

:0)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so how do I mark this as resolved?

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 1

Grey tick on the right hand side of post if showing in IE8. Click on it and it should turn to green. Try another browser otherwise.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so I know I have resolved this problem - but just wondered if what had gone wrong with my computer has now been the cause of not being able to access broadband on that computer - yet I can still access it on phone and laptop?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The cause of not able to connect is probably the same reason you couldn't boot - corrupt file / sector of the hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more