We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks so much - have ordered one. Will update once it arrived an I've managed to look into things :-)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Sorry - me again - not received caddy yet - but how will I run CHKDSK on an external drive?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Right-click the external drive and select "Properties." The "Properties" window will open.

Read more: How to Run Chkdsk on an External Hard Drive | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how6795432run-chkdsk-external-hard-drive.html#ixzz29Tu08JbN

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That link 'broke' because there were 2 _'s in it.

ClickHere instead

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi. The drive is now connected to my laptop and I guess the food news is that the laptop recognises it. I am faced with the following hurdles:-

1. It won't let me run CHKDSK as it says the drive is already in use. I am not aware that it is so how am I gonna get it to perform this task?

2. I have tried to also enter the tab within this hdd that has my name on it so I can hopefully find all my stuff - but it says I don't have permission to access it. It then tells me to press enter to get permission, but then doesn't appear to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so I can now access all my stuff YIPPEE!!!!!

I still need to know how to run CHKDSK on that drive when it keeps saying the drive is in use.

I also need to know how i would fo about fixing the actual computer and getting it to boot up.

Thank you so much for your help so far - this is one very happy lady :-)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Double Click My Computer, Right Click the Drive then on Properties/Tools Check Disk do a full scan and let it fix any problems automatic

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip - but I tried that and it says it can't do the scan because the drive is in use already?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

It is now scanning the disc.

What will I need to do to get the computer back working?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The CHKDSK may with luck fix it, so try it back in other pc and see what happens.

Hope you have copied all your stuff off the drive 'just in case'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow