We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

If you can see it, can you tell from that what kind of external caddy I am going to need?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You need a SATA to USB Caddy.

Your caddy has connections for IDE drive (also note that it's IDE drives that have a jumper pin - the little bit of plastic to set it as master or slave) When using a caddy you don't set it to slave as it will be connected via usb to your pc as a mass storage device and not sharing a cable with another harddrive.

Your drive is a SATA (it doesn't have a jumper pin)

The difference is: IDE harddrives can share a cable connection to the motherboard so you have to set the jumper pin so bios will know which is the Master to boot from.

SATA harddrives do not share a cable, each cable plugs in separately to the motherboard.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you have this Caddy it says it is not for SATA harddrives

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If it a Old Drive it will be IDE connection, new later ones are SATA

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Narrow data cable rather than wide data cable? Then its sata

Are you connecting to another PC or laptop?

If PC then disconnect the data cable at the motherboard end and use drive and cable to a spare port on the motherboard of your other PC(whle PC shut down of course).

Windows should find the drive OK when you boot up the other PC.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

He said on page 5 that he wants to connect caddy to laptop to get data off and run a chkdsk

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone.

I will be connecting to my laptop. Obviously have to buy a SATA to USB caddy first.

Will I need to buy anything else or do anything before presumably just booting up my laptop then connecting this hdd to it when the external caddy arrives?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

should do, I presume your drive is not bigger than 500GB? it says: Compatible with USB 2.0, SATA/ESATA, IEEE 1394. Hot-Swappable with Easy Plug & Play. Supports 3.5" SATA Hard Drives any speed up to 500GB

Yes, Plug & Play - you just switch it on and plug it in and your laptop will see it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014