We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Well I got the disc I made to work - thanks Woodchip.

Unfortunately a message came up saying "setup cannot find the end user licensing agreement"

"Setup cannot continue. To quit press f3".

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you run Chkdsk /f/r from the command prompt?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

No I haven't - because it won't let me get that far - no matter what I try I keep getting the blue error screen that comes up saying "Windows has closed to prevent damage to the hard drive" (or something like that).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

can you not get to a command prompt by booting from the CD?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I can only get to the blue screen where it gives option to install windows, or to press "r" for the recovery console - but when I select either it just gives me the "windows has closed to prevent damage........" page.

I may try the recovery console option again tomorrow - I just want to be able to do the chkdsk thing - but just cannot get any screen to allow me to type on it :-(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I think if you cannot get to a command prompt best action may be to connect the drive to another machine back up all your documents and try a disk check while attached to the other machine.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I think I will remove the hdd and put in a caddy like you suggested Fruitbat - and see my documents via my laptop. Will I be able to view all documents - including any photos that were just saved to the computer's desktop?

If I do a disk check while its attached to my laptop, will I be able to "fix" my actual computer still or is it caput?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hopefully it will fix it but if not then when you have copied all your data across you can use the recovery disk to put the machine back to the day you bought it.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks fruit at - will come back with update as soon as I can :-)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I now have the hdd out of the tower unit - was about to connect it into my 3.5" external caddy but can't as the connection is different!!!!! I don't know how to post photos on here to show you the different connections! There also doesn't seem to be a little bit of plastic to set it as master or slave???

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks