We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes they are a handful aren't they!

I'm expecting my grandson same age to arrive shortly comes Sunday and we take him back Monday evening, need the rest of the week to recover. Can't remember mine being so energetic at that age but that was 35yrs ago :0)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Does it matter if I use a cd or a DVD as I don't think I have any blank CDs?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so I have made the cd as suggested by fruit bat and have selected the computer boots up from CDROM - but it's not booting from the CDROM!!!!!

What else can i do to the computer to get it to do this?

(Have used the delete key to change what it boots from AND f8 key also).?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tap del to enter setup / BIOS when first booting

Set CD rom as first boot device

You must remember to Save and exit before leaving BIOS (usually F10)

Then you must have the CD in the drive before starting the PC look for a message press any key to boot from CD and just keep tapping a key as it starts up.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Tried this and it just won't boot up this cd :-(

Is my computer basically ruined? Is the only other solution to take out the hdd from the tower?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

To creat the cd I just dragged the ISo file to the burning software you suggested and clicked on burn - it took about a second to burn the disc - does that sound about right or have I missed something out?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

That's no good to create a Boot CD. You have to create a Image with the File. Put a Blank CD in the Drive the try double clicking the ISO that you downloaded, if you Have Nero on your PC it will most likely create the Image on the CD by doing the above

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I now have a blank dvd in the drive as I have no more blank cds.

I have gone into my downloads folder (where the iso document has saved), but when I double click it from there, it says "windows cannot open this file" and gives me a "use the web service to find the correct program" or "select program from a list of programs".

Sorry - but I'm no good at creating this kind of disc :-(

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have nero 8 and "nero burning rom" but I've no idea what I'm doing with it as never used that before.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......