We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thought it might have been Medion when you said Application and support CD.

My Medion is 7 years old and came with 2 CDs "APl and Support" and "Operating System Installation CD"

Its the second one you need, it will probably say Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As its a Medion, You Have three options if you start with the recovery CD. After booting with the CD choose the least invasive option Like I think is to get it to boot, second option is load the Drivers. third option is like a XP Repair its a full system install that will lose you your Personal Files

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As its a Medion, You Have three options if you start with the recovery CD. After booting with the CD choose the least invasive option Like I think is to get it to boot, second option is load the Drivers. third option is like a XP Repair its a full system install that will lose you your Personal Files

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I only seem to have2 discs which is 1. Recovery and 2. Application and software.

However no matter what I try to do (including all fruit bats suggestions) I keep getting the blue screen that says windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer. The only way to get away from this screen is to reboot so I can't get past this screen!

I managed to try and do the recovery install but it kept coming up with an error opening driver message so wouldn't complete???

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

The numbers at the end of the blue screen message are:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A1E6DC, 0xF7A1E3D8 , 0xF70B7F81)

Does this help at all?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

The numbers at the end of the blue screen message are:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A1E6DC, 0xF7A1E3D8 , 0xF70B7F81)

Does this help at all?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As the computer is 7 years old,and possibly has the original harddrive, it could have failed.

To recover your documents try the following:

You say you have a laptop and can connect the drive to your laptop as an external drive.

Do this and the plug in a USB thumb drive to the laptop. Download and install RECUVER from Piriform [piriform RECUVER ]1 and use the setting to recover you documents etc (One section at a time to the USB drive. You can then transfer them to a DVD /CD or your laptop.- Run a anti-virus scan- The reason I say to a USB drive first is in case of any data corrumption that might affect the Laptop.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

0x00000024 relates to a corrupt windows file due to a bad sector on the hard drive.

Chkdsk will attempt to repair the sector and if it can't will mark it as bad to stop windows trying to use it.

A windows repair install will then replace the corrupt file and you will be back to normal.

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xpreccon.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on the computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

Follow the instructions I posted earlier to run chkdsk.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thank you - will try latest suggestions and get back to you.

Won't be until later tonight as have a 2.5 year old!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'