We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP home edition won't boot up

PC_HelpMe
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My computer has decided to just not load up - it won't even load up in safe mode. The following message then came up:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your comp."

It then goes on to say disable antivirus or check hard drive configuration and run CHKDSK /F for hard drive corruption.

Technical info: * STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF79C36DC

It gives more numbers etc.

I then also tried using the recovery disc yet this same message came up!

How can I try and fix anything when I can't seem to get off this error message?

Any advice really appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make and model of PC?

The clicking noise is a failing to read section of the hard drive CHKDSK will attempt to repair the corrupted section and may recover the windows system file. You need to do this first!!

If you have the full XP CD you can boot to recovery console

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press R

It will attempt to find the windows system if it asks for admin password and you don't have one just press enter

At the C:\Windows prompt type

chkdsk /f/r and press enter

when its finished press exit to reboot the machine remove the CD and see if it will boot into windows.

IF not the do a windows repair install

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you use a Restore CD you will lose your own Work, Only way is if you Have a oem XP Home CD. You can do a repair by booting with the CD in the drive and run Setup it will look for any operating System on you hard drive if it finds Windows Home Click on it then press R for repair

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I bit the bullet and continued with the application cd - but even that won't re-install the drivers?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have tried to do a repair using the cd - but it came up with the same error screen. Will try and do what fruit bat has suggested.

It is a Medion Pc - but I can't see it's model anywhere at the mo - it's a good few years old now.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have tried to do a repair using the cd - but it came up with the same error screen. Will try and do what fruit bat has suggested.

It is a Medion Pc - but I can't see it's model anywhere at the mo - it's a good few years old now.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have just tried to do fruit bat's suggestions - computer just won't let me do ether - I just get the blue screen of death error message that I started to quote in my earlier message (about windows having to stop).

I am guessing I may have to take out hard drive and put is as an external drive on my laptop to read my documents?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have just tried to do fruit bat's suggestions - computer just won't let me do ether - I just get the blue screen of death error message that I started to quote in my earlier message (about windows having to stop).

I am guessing I may have to take out hard drive and put is as an external drive on my laptop to read my documents?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Sorry for the multiple posting of the same responses - was on my phone and it kept saying "error posting" yet it obviously did :-/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'